College Is Elementary
College should not just be a dream; it should be a plan for students and their parents, starting in elementary school!
The KLCS COLLEGE IS ELEMENTARY project works by
- Building community knowledge about what makes a good student, teacher, leader, and school
- Spotlighting education community leaders and their strategies to create a college-bound culture for young students, especially those from low-income families
- Trust-building with parents in a fragile environment where “institutions” such as schools are often distrusted
- Making the goal of college financial aid, enrollment, and graduation more attainable for low-income students
- Engaging community stakeholders to develop long-term strategies to make a college education a reality for more students
- Inspiring more Pre-K and Elementary schools to replicate a College Is Elementary program of their own
COLLEGE IS ELEMENTARY is part of the American Graduate: Let’s Make It Happen initiative, public media’s long-term commitment to supporting community-based solutions to the dropout crisis. Supported by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), more than 80 public radio and television stations, including KLCS in Los Angeles, have joined forces with over 1,000 partners and at-risk schools across 30 states.
PBS 180 Days: Hartsville Documentary
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on google
Share on linkedin